Monday, January 17, 2011

Book Size Matters

What a surprise when I finally got my copy of Switching on the Moon, edited by Jane Yolen and Andrew Fusek Peters. Not a surprise because I got the book but a surprise because I finally saw its size. This is a BIG book! See, it's almost as wide as my shoulders.

I'd only ever seen a photo of the book cover before. Not until I held it did I think of its dimensions. A child could really get lost in this book the illustrations are so large. It's perfect for a bedtime read. And my piece of real estate on page 28? I love it!

I had a very large edition of Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses when I was little. I love the idea that some of today's children might build similar fond feelings about poetry with this book.

My thoughts on my first chance to read the book all the way through, not just my own poem? Wow. This poetry anthology is top notch. I'm going to gift this book whenever I can.

(And it's just been shortlisted for a Cybils award in the poetry category!)

2 comments:

LMacL said...

Way to go, Lizann! I bet your poem is fabulous. Can't wait to see it and read it!

Happy New Year and hope you aren't experiencing too many snow days this year!

Unknown said...

Thanks! Happy New Year to you too. :>

Not too many snow days so far. I think they have a new person at the Board making the snow day call--someone who likes to drive in the bad weather. But that's just a theory!