Monday, July 12, 2010

He Did What?

I just finished a YA novel and it was an interesting read. Except one thing bugged me. It was a little thing, a tiny thing even. But it jumped out at me and clobbered me over the head. And I swear I came across it three separate times in the book.

What was this tiny annoyance? It was this peculiar descriptive action I've never noticed in a book before. The descriptive action had a character doing this: sanding his hands together.

It stopped me short in my reading. Well, okay, that's unusual, it brings to mind a carton villain, but I could get past it. The first time. But the second? Then the third?

I enjoyed the book for the most part, but for me this is now the book where the guy sands his hands together. It's made the biggest impression on me. Can you overuse a quirky description or action or is it just me? I suspect it's an individual response.

Do these types of tiny details ever take over a story for you?

4 comments:

Rebecca Gomez said...

Yes! I can't help but think of two unnecessary adverbs used one right after the other in a very popular book (one of a series). The story was good, but I can't help but think of the author as the over-user of adverbs.

Unknown said...

Glad to know I'm not alone!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

well, since my Dad also does this as a character trait of his, I can totally see this. And I wouldn't bat an eye if I read it in a book, just nod with understanding. I guess it all depends of your "perspective"

Unknown said...

That's a really interesting point, Terry Lynn. I admit that I don't know anyone who actually does that so that's likely why it stuck out for me. Thanks for passing along your perspective!