Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Fabulous First Visit

I had a great visit with a kindergarten class last Friday. Thanks Mrs Nichols and Mrs Kamachi! We read Let’s Go! We pretended to walk, canoe, gallop, sail, chug-chug-choo-choo, fly fast, and blast into space. We found the dog Scot Ritchie hid in his illustrations.

Here’s me. There are kids there, honestly. I’m checking on permission about showing pics of the kids but for now here it is cropped in tightly to show only me.


This was my first reading for Let’s Go! It’s been several years since I last did presentations to classes. I love four and five year olds! But I was struck once more by the realization that it’s not to my best advantage to ask open-ended questions to this age group. Unless, that is, I wanted to hear about last night’s dinner or the time when that dad’s car got stuck and they had to call in the tow truck and....

They were an excellent audience. The best moment was when, after I read the line "Iron steam ships chewed the miles of sea," one boy at the front looked pensive and said “Chewed?” That prompted a great talk about why I chose that word as opposed to another (sailed, crossed, traveled, etc.) and about the feeling I had hoped to invoke in readers when they came across that word. We all chewed on that for awhile. (Cool, it worked!!)

I hope they enjoyed our time together as much as I did. Thank you!

2 comments:

Rebecca Gomez said...

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! I love reading to kids, especially in that age group!

the.beauty&theashes said...

your an author!that is so cool!!! I've always wanted to write. I'd be honored if you check my blog out:journey4answers.blogspot.com